Monday, April 5, 2010

Getting ready for the clinic


I got my questionnaire in my email the other day for the Kathleen Lindley clinic. I'm nervous, excited, and really looking forward to my first multi-day clinic. The last time I went to a clinic it was a one day despooking clinic I took Canyon to. I learned so much it was well worth the time and money. I've used things I learned there every time I'm out with horses.

Plus this will be 3 days of nothing but horses! OMG I may just bust.

I'm scouring the web for ideas on places to stay since the clinic has been moved and will be a 2 hour drive from my house. I'd like to camp, since money is tight. But a girl has to shower. We shall see...

Here are the details of the clinic itself:

April 15, 16, & 17

Uodibar Kennels & Stable

510 County Rd 343 , Hondo, TX


I know you can audit the clinic, I just don't know how much it is per day (please, join me!). $20? Something like that.

You can reach Lou here for more info: louise@uodibarkennel.com


I have been working on the questionnaire and here's the description I put down for Cibolo:
Cibolo is a “low man on the totem pole” horse. His previous owner said he wasn’t very affectionate, but I have found him to be pretty affectionate and respectful, although he can have moments when he doesn’t want to be messed with – usually when he doesn’t want to leave his buddies in the herd. At that moment he’s stand offish, but then comes around once he’s away from the herd. He is curious, but cautious. He can be a tiny bit spooky, but is doing better. He’s very social, will call out to a herd if we pass near one.
And here's what I said I wanted to work on:

Cibolo seems to respond best to a firm approach and will test if I’m too soft. I have trouble figuring out how to be firm without being harsh in attitude. He had done some crow hopping and little bucks and really pulling some attitude and I was nearly ready to sell him. A trainer helped me begin a process of being more demanding and firm. He responded, and we are much, much better, but I’d like to tone it down without him feeling like he has to take charge instead.

He also had a meltdown [this is where my talent for understatement comes in] in a large group of horses and I’m concerned that he might do so again.

I’m also working on confidence at a canter.

That should be plenty to cover in 3 days. I'm also hoping to see if he's in the right bit. I got the one he'd had for years, but am curious if it's the right one.

Sigh. April 15 is NEVER going to get here! :)



11 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

How exciting! April 15 will be here before you know it too. Hope you have a great time at the clinic and tell us all about it when you get back.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

It sounds very exciting but please, don't rush it. April 15 is the deadline for taxes and I haven't turned mine in yet. lol.

That clinic sounds like it'll be great for both you and Cibolo.

Shirley said...

I keep wishing for a cutting clinic, but probably won't happen around here. Have fun and let us in on it!

jacksonsgrrl said...

I am so PO'd that they moved the clinic! The original location would have made an easy home base for you at Linda's and a run for your horse! Now it'll be an hour drive. Wahhh! And nowhere near my own horse, who I wanted you to meet! I am coming on the first day, have to work Fri. and hope to come for the Sat. part of it. Unless, of course the call to ride myself is too strong.... :)
I guess I'll find you. I'm the tall one with the red hair! :)
~Mindy

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

Paint Girl said...

I bet you are really excited. I love clinics, but have never taken my horse to one. I think it would be a great experience to be able to take your own horse!
I can't wait to hear all about it!!

Leah Fry said...

Sounds wonderful. Can't wait to hear what you learn.

Where is Hondo?

Anonymous said...

I expect you'll have a great time and learn a lot, and so will your horse, too! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Michaela said...

Wow that sounds like a fun and worthwhile clinic. Im always fascinated by horse personalities and how to try and describe them. Wish I could go to the clinic!!!!!!
xxoo

jacksonsgrrl said...

Winter--Check out my reply to your post on my latest blog, you can contact me privately for details, etc. at: pinkcurlytail@yahoo.com
We can make it work with only a 45 min. drive each way, for you and the horse, or just you, whatever you need! Then we can get a real ride in! You are both invited to stay with her in Pipe Creek and I did the Mapquest for times and miles. 38 miles, 45 minutes. Linda prob. knows a better way too... I spoke with Linda, you are BOTH very welcome to stay...
~Mindy

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

It's almost here!!!!!

I can't wait to read all about it here afterwards!

~Lisa