Thursday, December 31, 2009

Resolutions

Happy New Year!!

Boy, am I glad 2009 is DONE. My daughter tumbled off a horse because of my stupidity and became completely terrified of horses, sold a bucking horse, bought a new horse, couldn't load my horses, got them to load, found a melting point for my new horse, was as discouraged as I ever could be about owning horses, had my horse "talk" to me in a way that felt miraculous and my daughter got back on a horse.

Whew. Can you have emotional whiplash?

Time to move on.

It's that time - RESOLUTIONS!

I don't like to think of them as resolutions. So often they are just dreams, or goals, or targets on the horizon.

Resolution sounds like failure before I even begin, frankly.

So here are the 2009 Targets I've got:

Attend 2 significant (multi-day) clinics. One locally, one in NM (Right, Carmon?)

Work with my horse 3 x a week, even if I can't ride.

Remember that horses are a bit of an emotional roller coaster. Accept that and don't take it personally.

Be present. Be where I am. Listen when someone is talking, stop over valuing multi tasking when it comes to family and friends.

Write. A lot.



And on the giving up list: No more casual TV (only movies with the kids), no more candy bars (I made it candy bar free in 2008 but have totally lost it in 2009), Fast food limited to 1 x a week.


Things I want to do, but never manage: Get organized. Print my pictures. clear off my desk at the start and end of the day. Clear off everything on the kitchen counters.



Hmmm. Maybe I better hang on to those candy bars...

Wishing everyone a goal achieving, target hitting, resolution keeping 2010...

9 comments:

Susan said...

Dang, what ambition. I'm behind you as my resolutions are similar. Take better care of myself, ride more, etc. We can do it!

Anonymous said...

Worthy goals - and you've got the stick-to-it-iveness to do it if anyone does! Just remember to have fun in 2010! You've already really impressed me with what you've accomplished in 2009, particularly dealing with all the ups and downs - I know personally how hard that can be.

jacksonsgrrl said...

How about a candy bar once a week? HOW CAN YOU GIVE UP CHOCOLATE? And more importantly, why would you do that to yourself? -grin-
I lost 53 lbs. this year and I didn't give up candy (of course I ate a lot less of EVERYTHING)! Your other resolutions are good tho. Perhaps I could add one. Go on that trail ride with Mindy. It's gonna happen.
I believe the Scavenger Hunt at Triple H is tenatively set for May 8. :)
~Mindy

Unknown said...

Right! I'm really looking forward to spending time with you! Carmon

Leah Fry said...

Yep, pretty ambitious, alright. To be honest, I haven't thought beyond the horses. I will use part of today to outline my strategy. Good luck!

Mindy, you lost 53 lbs??? How in the world?

Grey Horse Matters said...

All great targets to work towards. Except for the candy bars, have one once in a while so you don't feel deprived and don't forget dark chocolate is an antioxidant so it can't be bad for you!

Happy New Year!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

You have alot of great goals and targets. I'm wishing you much success this year, my friend.

A little chocolate is supposed to good for you, remember?

Happy New Year!


~Lisa

Karen McLain said...

What great resolutions! I would like to organize my office and ride my horses more. I ought to be able to do that, right?
Happy new Year!

Unknown said...

Susan - there are strength in numbers!

Kate - Fun - I knew I left something off!

Mindy - Okay. Limit to once a month. And that ride - we are GOING TO DO IT!!

Carmon - when's the date? I'm really excited about it.

Leah - Look forward to seeing what you come up with, too

GH & Lisa - Okay, maybe I was being too harsh with the candy bar. :)