Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hangman and backseat players


Beware of good intentions.

I like to think I'm an educational kind of mom. But sometimes it doesn't quite work out.

Since we do a good bit of driving we’ve come up with several games that are suitable for playing with a back seat partner and a driver. In that desperate place between Hills in the Texas Hill Country , one tends to grasp at straws.

Like hangman.


We started playing hangman in the restaurant and it carried over to the car. Sure, it’s a bit of a challenge when you can’t see your head and arms being added to the hangman’s noose, but it’s a worthy handicap given the driver’s better spelling skills, right?


Except when one of your opponents is in second grade and is not too accurate a speller.

There’s nothing quite as challenging as spelling when there are no actual spelling rules involved.

Suffice it to say, Mommy was swinging in the wind PLENTY.

Fortunately we have the Car-i-oke CD. It's a little brutal on the ears, but easier on the brain - and neck.

5 comments:

Leah Fry said...

And that's why I play Scrabble with the computer rather than Mr. Fry, who can't spell his way out of a paper bag.

Anonymous said...

When I was in my last year of law school, many, many years ago, there was one class where I spent a lot of time with the person sitting next to me playing hangman - I haven't thought of that in years!

Tammy in TX said...

LOL! That would make for a hard game of Hangman! Another good game was "I spy with my eye something (insert color here).

Wolfie said...

I haven't thought of Hangman in years! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. :-)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Ha, I remember playing those games. It's got to be even more fun with someone who's not too good at spelling yet!