I can’t remember why. Was it was terrible for the environment, terrible for the people who work stuffing kernels in bags, or just terrible to eat? Whatever the reason, we gave up the wonderful convenience of microwave popcorn and switched over to an air popper.
That fateful night, a few movie nights ago, I was once again in charge of popping up some popcorn. Apparently I didn’t put the top on the air popper correctly.
You know, it’s amazing how just a tiny bit of catty wampus in your world can lead to total chaos.
The air popper was just getting to the point where things are really popping, a nice steady POP! POP! POP! Then the top section of the air popper fell to one side. Hot popcorn kernels, which seem so cute and harmless in the air popper’s chute, suddenly proceeded to EXPLODE all over the kitchen. No one was safe, and even the popcorn stealing dog dove for cover.
My panic in trying to put the top on resulted in the bowl of popcorn spilling all over the kitchen floor in an avalanche of salt, melted butter , and previously popped popcorn.
That will be forever known as the night Mommy exploded the kitchen.
(by the way, I found out why you shouldn't have microwave popcorn. I hate to be a kill joy, so I'm just linking to it. Read at your peril.)