Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Another horse magazine bites the dust


I was pretty sad to see that another magazine, specifically John Lyon's Perfect Horse, has ceased publication.

I got my notice which explained that the magazine had been operating in the red for some time. Which explains the huge redesign they had in December when they went to a thin, three hole punch format.

Perfect Horse was one of my favorite things to find in my mailbox because it was all training. I followed several of the exercises, particularly the "steer the tail" one and found the explanations clear and photos just beautiful.

And now it's gone. I've signed up for some replacement magazine they offered, but it barely seems worth it.

The economy is wreaking havoc on magazines, which were already on the ropes along with newspapers. Blame the internet. But I don't get that. I do some of my best ... reading in the... you know... the water closet.

It's not a locale suitable for a laptop.

If this keeps going, I'm going to have to bring in bills to read. Somehow those still manage to show up in print.

Of course John Lyons has a nice website, but it's just not the same.

What horse magazines do you subscribe to?

5 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I used to subscribe to The Perfect Horse, but for the number of articles that I found to be helpful in relation to what I paid, I didn't feel it was worth it. Most of it was advertising. I don't want to pay for people to push products on me. I want horse training advice. Maybe the magazines got better over time, but my experience wasn't that impressive. The only horse magazine I've remained loyal to is Horse & Rider. I do love John Lyons, though.

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Oh how sad. I subscribe to Horses in Art& Equus. Used to get many more until I had to sell my horse 2 years ago:(

Chelsi said...

you are funny (re not bringing the laptop on the loo) I was never one to buy magazines but loved getting the AQHA journal when I had it. I hear that a lot of mags and newspapers are going online only... it really isnt the same though.

Paint Girl said...

I subscribe to the Perfect Horse too, I guess that envelope I haven't opened yet explains what is going on. That is too bad, I really liked the magazine, and love that it is almost all training.

Michelle said...

Too bad to hear that. I wasn't a subscriber, but I hate to see any horse publication go under. I subscribe to Horse & Rider and the Appaloosa Journal.