Sunday, August 21, 2011

Last Weekend of Summer - 3 horse days...

It was the last official weekend of Summer (granted 100 degree days are expected for several more weeks - but insofar as the school calendar is concerned, this is it).

I had three straight days of horse time squeezed in before school shopping marathons. Friday was the usual "I have no idea what you're talking about. What's a canter?" and "Hi everybody! I'm walking by! Yoo hoo!"


Really? REALLY? Do we have ta?

Saturday was a chance to share horse time with my good friend and writing buddy Kimber (from Fragrant Liar, very funny blog) who rode Cody the Wonder Horse.

I'm not sure who was happier.

Smokey decided turns were purely optional at the canter, and we had some close encounters with the fence line. I have to remind myself that there was a time I couldn't turn him at the trot. So we are getting there. He did, however, insist on some photos (seriously, he mugged for the camera/iphone).

This is my good side, mom.

And shared his views on helmets - they should be worn, even if it's just the liner.


On Sunday Sierra joined me at the barn, she on Cody the Wonder Horse, me on Lily and Smokey. Lily did some crow hopping at the canter, but I suspect it was because of how I was sitting. Once I sat deeper for the departure, she did great. Does that make sense? I have a video I'll be posting tomorrow of our canter time.

Smokey, on the other hoof, demonstrated his ability to turn at the canter - in the round pen. But it was our best round pen cantering, so I considered it progress.


We took some time to do the trails together along with Janice and her arabian mare Lucy. Lily did well, Smokey was so-so. Wish there were more cool hours in the day...

4 comments:

Dan and Betty said...

The deep seat makes a lot of sense. It probably put you in more contact with the horse which makes him a lot more comfortable.

Dan

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yay you! Good for you getting back out on the trails with good friends/family.
Love that last photo. Too sweet.

~Lisa

Captain Bailey said...

We are finally getting some heat where I'm at, and none of us (including the plants in my yard) are used to it. I'm so with you on the cool hours of the day thing...and more hours to spend with horses in general. Cute pictures!

Fragrant Liar said...

What? Cody the Wonder Horse was cheating on me? I must return soon to reclaim my man.