Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Bastrop Fire Update

The fire in Bastrop is 95% contained. The very day I went swimming with Smokey (and locked myself out of the truck and trailer, and had that weird moment where suddenly everything was... right) there was another fire at the lake, near our barn. Fortunately it was put out quickly. I've never heard of so many fires in our area starting for no rhyme or reason.

This post by Sarah at Halt Near X does a great job of summing up the situation in Texas. As does the word dire.

This video by Raymond Schlogel,a camera man who shoots for Larry Gaitlan, was so compelling, I had to post it here. There is a scene, about midway through, of horses who are running on the road, loose, running from the fire or its remains. Or maybe they have no where to go home to.




Texas Fires/Alpha Rev - Black Sky from Underground Planet on Vimeo.

If you get a chance, read his description of filming that day.


Texas sure could use a hurricane.

5 comments:

Wolfie said...

The devastation is awful. Fires raging out of control terrify me. I feel for those poor firemen. I hope an end to your drought is around the corner.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Fire is so scary. I wish I could send you some of our rain. It's been miserable here all week and we're expecting another 2 inches tonight/tomorrow. Have you thought of a rain dance?

John and Regina Zdravich said...

It has been incredible watching this over the past few weeks. We really feel for everyone out there -- so unbelievably sad how some areas of the country are flooding while others are burning. Wish there was a way to "pipe" the floodwaters over to the fire areas! Hopefully the worst is over now.

Shirley said...

We don't get a lot of news about Texas up here, so seeing that video really brought it home just how bad it is. I feel for all those who lost their homes.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ray here, I was the camera guy/editor on this. First thank you for posting. Noticing your concern I thought I would leave a quick post to let you know the horses were indeed running from the affected parts that were still on fire or smoldering to where we had just come from near the empty highway (it was all blocked) and I believe they were okay. We actually saw them again on our way out and they were grazing on the side of the road. I cannot know for sure whats become of them but based on what I saw I imagine they made it through all right. =)