Sunday, January 18, 2009

Calmness comes from focus...

I spent some serious time on this website, examining some very straight talk on training and bucking.

A few entries down there's a description of the focus exercise. You know, the one where you make sure your horse keeps its attention on you for a full five minutes. I did that exercise a few months ago, when I got a cell call I couldn't avoid answering.

Then, as I was looking for something to read and wandered back to this site, I realized that the focus exercise has been very effective with Canyon. The last time I was out at the stables I noticed how consistent he focused on me as we were walking.

One of the key instructions in the exercise is to reward and pet - without saying a word.

Silence. It's a great thing about being with horses. The quiet. I find that if I'm alone with Canyon after a while I stop talking. (It helps that he never answers, verbally, anyway)

It's hard to stop talking in this world, actually. At work talking is a big part of my job. Parenting is filled with talking, non stop responses to "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!"

But in the round pen, in the arena, in the pasture, it's quiet. Like nowhere else in my world.

And calm.

The world needs more calm, quiet places. So we can all focus.

1 comment:

Jessica Burkhart said...

I agree. I get some of my best ideas when everything around me is silent. :)