Friday, January 9, 2009

Stress buster, thy name is horse


I left the office today with a headache, a pissy attitude, and a desire to forget that I do not have a trust fund to live off of.

I've got an ongoing feud going on with this ... extremely unpleasant* woman in our headquarter office. I'm sure she considers me unpleasant too.

(Here's Canyon, who knows all about office feuds... well, pasture feuds anyway. His advice - BITE. Ah, if only...)


One difference. Most everyone thinks of her as .... unpleasant and most people actually like me.

Whine, whine, whine. Some day I'll rant on the whole thing. It'll be a very long post. You might want to wear asbestos goggles when you read it.

Anyway, after a whole lot... unpleasantness I have felt ready to just kick the you know what out of something. And since I really don't have anything I can kick, I got worn down and unhappy instead.

Today was the first day I could get to the stables in a week. I headed over directly after work, wondering if it was a good idea to even go given my cruddy mood.

Four hours later, I was kicking myself for not making time to go during the week. I feel positively healed. My spirit is back, my headache is gone, I'm clear headed.

Just from being with my horse.

Sure, he was a pill at moments, but it didn't matter. Not one bit (no pun intended).

Because in those moment together, everything else was gone.

*I sure as hell don't mean unpleasant. But I'm too pleasant and clever to use the REAL WORD I MEAN.

4 comments:

wilsonc said...

That is exactly how I feel when I visit my horse...healed! He has kept me sane through many hard times. I think it's because they live in the moment and when we are there with them we live in the moment.

Unknown said...

I agree wilsonc. It's what I want to learn more of this year. Being present.

d2cmom said...

They say (and one day I'd like to meet They) that "the best thing for the inside of a person is the outside of a horse." I have found that I have the SAME experience with my work and headache/stress level when I go and even just groom my horse.

By the way this is ckirkland. I just put the identity the way I really want it.

Unknown said...

D2cmom - Glad you are embracing your real self.

That's a great phrase. I'm going to hum it to myself this week. It's supposed to get crazy cold and I may only get to say the word horse this week...