Sunday, October 2, 2011

Storm Ranch Endurance Ride - One horse's perspective.


Hi. It's me, Smokey.

Guess what? I convinced Mom to let me have this post all to myself! So no interruptions from you know who!

This weekend we went on a trip. First I got in my moving stall and got a cookie. Then Lily got in and got a cookie. Then we rode - ZOOM! I like the moving stall now, except when it stops. It stopped for a LONG time.

We had to stop at mom's home barn for a while. There were no cookies. So I kept pushing my special spot on the mat. I push and stomp on that spot and usually, before you know it, ZOOOM!

Lily said to quit it. She made a mad face at me. But I didn't care since she can't bite me from between the divider thing. So I stomp stomp stomp. Makes the time go faster. Seriously. Try it sometime.

FINALLY we were ZOOM again. We went down a bunch of twisty roads, one bumpy road and then we were at a new place with a whole bunch of other moving stalls and pullers, and other horses.

LOTS of other horses, mostly skinny ones, with the roundy middles. I kept it cool, though.


I might of shouted once, you know, just to say hey to everybody.

Once or twice.





Then Lily and I got our very own paddock with the biting white snakes. I hate those things. But there was lots of hay and water.



Some of the horses around us were all sweaty and looking tired. Maybe they had to run here instead of coming in a moving stall.

Then mom took me on a walk around. I didn't like it. No sir. Besides I had to leave Lily. And she was probably scared.

I shouted at her, just to let her know I was okay. Just a couple times.

Mom said there is no way I'm riding your silly nonsense.

Then I went back to the paddock and that was good. Then mom took Lily! She said "don't worry you have Tuffy to keep you company."




This is Tuffy. See? Like THIS GUY is supposed to make me feel better? Please. He doesn't even have a mane.

I tried to point out that I probably could just follow along, that they needed protection. I showed my big horse moves. Snaking neck. Couple bucks. Impressive stuff.

They left.

Crazy. I hollered at Lily for a while, just to let her know she'd be okay.

Then all I could do was wait.

Mom said she'd tell you about the next part. But she's all tired and stuff, so it might be a day or two.

11 comments:

Dan and Betty said...

Hey, Smokey. Just go ahead and tell the rest of the story yourself. You're pretty good at story-telling.

Sugar (Dan's horse)

Captain Bailey said...

Smokey, you have an excellent sense of human (I mean humor). Tell your mom I said hi and that I'm looking forward to reading Part II.

Allenspark Lodge said...

If we leave our horses in the trailer too long, they start playing "rock-paper-scissors".

Boom-boom-boom. Rock, rock.
Boom-boom-boom. Rock, rock.
Boom-boom-boom. Rock, rock.

It passes the time, but would probably be more fun if they had fingers...

Bill

Bill

Fragrant Liar said...

Where was Cody while all this was going on? Was he even invited? He would have set you guys all around the campfire and regaled you with tales of the old days, like 26 years ago. You missed out, I'm telling you.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Bill cracked me up!

Smokey, you are very strong and courageous to always be worrying about everyone's else safety. What a sweet boy you are. :)

~Lisa

Jan said...

Smokey, you are so funny! I love reading your stories because it makes me think even more about your perspective of things! Your mom is a smart human....

Maia said...

Smokey, you're doing great. Can hardly wait for the rest.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Oh, Smokey you are one great story teller. I'm glad to hear you were looking out for Lily the whole time and let her know it. Can't wait to hear the rest of your story, I'm sure you did something heroic.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Hi Breathe,
There's an award waiting for you at my blog. Stop by and pick it up when you get the chance.
Arlene

John and Regina Zdravich said...

Smokey, you sure know how to tell a story!

Achieve1dream said...

LOL Bill's comment is hilarious!

Sounds like you went somewhere interesting . . . just have to convince your mom to not separate you again. Safety in numbers!