Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Whoa. Karma?

Okay, in a strange Karmatic twist, I just got a call from the husband of the woman who sold Prince/Canyon to me. 

He wants to buy him back. He was the reason she sold him (he was tired of seeing her get hurt) but she still misses him. 

 So they have an anniversary coming up and he wants to surprise her.

So, in a nod to Karma, I've pulled my letter to Leslie. I'm going to revise the post a bit and repost.

Or maybe not.

Knowing more of the story makes me pause.

He says Canyon/Prince needs to do endurance, that he turns into a real jerk when he's just trail riding. He's got the blood to just go and go and go. 

Which is not what we do.

I told him what we've done, what we've accomplished. What remains. And he will let me know in 24 hours if he can get the money together.

Last night, after a ride where I was just miserable, a broken hearted woman forced to see her old boyfriend at a party and it is just weird, lame, awkward, I prayed.

"Please help me get through this. I can't keep this up." Because I swore I'd keep him ridden. Because I don't want him to go backwards.

If this works, my faith in karma will be strengthened.

And that, in the end, is a good thing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, let me get this straight...The horse was sold because Canyon hurt this woman badly numerous times, and the husband who insisted she sell it, wants to buy it back for her? Is this husband now trying to kill her? Isn't Canyon just going to finish the job he started with her? Are they REALLY going to keep Canyon worked enough to avoid issues?

I have always been in favor of running that horse to the ground to try to improve his manners, and have never seen him more than mildly exerted...that is to say,I always wanted to see if he would buck while dripping sweat and lathered up! But I ride a lot (in spurts), and I know I couldn't keep Canyon ridden enough for that unless I committed to ride 30 miles a week.

But hey, give him what he wants. It's their decision, they are adult riders, and they know what they're getting.

-trailrider

Melanie said...

Wow! It's funny how things turn out sometimes, isn't it? You know, I think that you gave Canyon a fair shot/trial, and that he just isn't the horse that you need right now.

I have found that it is nice to have a horse that doesn't need "work" all of the time, as my time is already stretched thin enough. Who wants to spend all of their time on the ground, when there are plenty of horses that you can just get on and go-within reason.

Anywho...I hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted. :)

Unknown said...

TR: the husband repeatedly called Canyon "that animal", but says he has a plan. It involves training Canyon for long distance rides (50 +) so maybe that will work. LIke you said, we never came close to wearing that horse out. I can lather Lily up, but Canyon just lightly glows.

Melanie:I hope it does too. This would be perfect, because as TR says, they know precisely what they are getting.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I got chills reading your post. I've got to start praying more often. I hope the husband will pay you what you paid them. After all, part of it would be the cost of you buying him and part of it would be deducting an unintended rental fee for riding him, and part of it would be adding that back in to pay you for the work and training that you've put into Canyon.

Unknown said...

NM: it's just amazing, isn't it?