Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful for shoeing, splashes, and wondering

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

It has been so crazy at work I feel like I must be working at the same office as Nuzzling Muzzles!

I haven't been able to do anything, including shopping for Thanksgiving turkey and shoeing the horses.

So I just left for part of the day to get the horses shod - Cibolo lost his shoe on Tuesday and it broke quite a bit of hoof off.

Because my last shoeing bill was so expensive, I asked the farrier if I could meet him and avoid a trip fee. I believe we call this the "tripping over dollars to pick up pennies" approach since I was gone for hours and had to work until 10 pm to get my other work done.

But it was a beautiful day and a day outside on a beautiful fall day holding horses beats a day staring at the computer every time.

Here's Lily, concerned about the grinder. She's doing better about her back feet or Phil has her figured out.



He says Lily has problematic feet. I wish I had written down what he said - I may ask him over the phone because I'd like to post it here. Basically he said they're very small, she has issues with her heels, they tend to be crooked... or something. I kept getting calls and my brain is awash with "dc blitz" and "teller training" and "website blah, blah, blah."




I told him I wasn't sure what I was going to do with Cibolo. He practically offered to buy him on the spot.

Cibolo nuzzled me.

I began to wonder if you're sent the horse you need.

I wondered where we'd be in a few months.

I wondered if I'd look back and regret that I didn't meet the challenge. Or if I'd stay nervous and give up on horses if I couldn't work through this.

I'm glad I'm in no hurry to decide.

There's actually a good article in Horse and Rider that has given me some things to think about and try. But more on that next time.

Right now, I'm just going to relax. And cook like a maniac.



One final thing. Lily's coat has changed a good deal. There's more white than I ever remember seeing.




Here's a close up of her splashes...


Here's how she looked this summer...

5 comments:

Deedee Williams said...

Wow, her coat is getting splashy! She's a beauty.
Happy Thanksgiving! Time for me to get my bird in also!
Cheers!
~DD

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'm so grateful I don't have to bother with shoes on horses here. I'm thankful my mare has strong, tough healthy feet and I can only attribute it to keeping her on a rocky, steep paddock with boulders and rough ground everwhere. The bottom of her feet feel as if they are made of boulders themselves.

I hope the holiday gives you some much needed downtime, though. And maybe you'll find some time for yourself and possibly a ride or two if your weather is good.

Wow. Lily looks like she's got some appy in her breeding somewhere with all that chrome.

You much to be thankful for, my friend.

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your day with your two and four legged loved ones.

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely and relaxing Thanksgiving! My Maisie has terrible feet - different issues than your mare - so I understand how that can be.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Happy T-Day to you too! Amazingly, I did actually get this holiday off from work. I've always wondered why we can't get the day BEFORE Thanksgiving off, so we can at least buy our turkeys before all the stores are closed. Wouldn't that make more sense?

Michelle said...

Nice that you got to take a few hours off and enjoy the horses. Great photos!