Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Geek - Crib Notes


From my weekly column -

I am a little over the top when it comes to the holidays.

Oh, we’re not talking about a few too many ornaments on the tree here. This is not about being one of those people who hum a carol or two in the checkout line. This is serious stuff here. I am to the holidays what El Nino is to North American weather patterns. I am the Holiday Himalaya of the Hill Country.

I am a Christmas Geek.

I felt it was time to come out of the Chrismas closet (where there are 7 different types of holiday themed wrapping paper with matching ribbons) about this. We’ve known each other long enough, right? It’s possible you are a little Christmas geeky too…

So how can you tell if you’re a Christmas Geek? Here are some of the signs:

1. You can put your mp3 player on at noon and leave it playing until bedtime and never hear the same version of a Christmas carol twice.

2. You own more holiday movies than they stock at the local movie store.

3. You have strong opinions about how to properly hang tinsel.

4. You organize your caloric intake around egg nog consumption which means you can eat three pecans and a stick of celery a day.

5. When you unpack your holiday decorations you can finally walk through the attic. The living room? Not so much.

6. While you might struggle to remember names of people at a party , you know the name of every version of Papa Noel and know the most commonly mispronounced reindeer is Donder. (Every one leaves out the “d.”)

7. You know the words to the more obscure carols (see #1) and feel free to enlighten others when they resort to humming.

8. You have a dozen Santa hats in various styles.

9. When an ornament breaks you insist on a moment of silence.

10. The cats, dogs, and at least one stuffed animal, have individual, stylish stockings.

If you suffer from one or two of these signs, consider yourself merely festive. If you have three to five of these, then you are pretty darn merry.

If all ten of these apply to you, then I’ll see you at the Carols on the Square. We’ll be the ones in the funny Santa hats, singing at the top of our lungs – without once having to reference the song sheets.

8 comments:

Jennifer MacNeill said...

I'm not sure if I'm a Christmas geek but my pets do have their own stockings;) Mare-y Christmas and Appy Holidays!

Wolfie said...

Wonderful list and yes, I am pretty darn merry! #3 and #4, particularly hit home for me. :-) Have a blast over the holiday season and best wishes for a great 2011!!!

the7msn said...

You're hysterical. Whatever the opposite of Christmas Geek is, that's me. Though #4 still applies.

Maery Rose said...

I wish I could be more like you and actually enjoy the holidays.

Ms Martyr said...

I would so qualify except for the fact that I'm married to the Grinch so have to tone it down A LOT.

AareneX said...

7msn, I'm with you--but you can keep the eggnog if I can have that extra peppermint brownie?

morningbrayfarm said...

I'm totally down with numbers four, five, nine and ten. :)

You have the MOST beautiful family Winter!!!

Merry, Merry Christmas to you and yours. xxooxx

Melanie said...

Love it!!! I guess I am kind of at the other end of the spectrum: a holiday scrouge!!!! LOL

Not really, but I don't go overboard either. : )