Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lessons at Dusk

Mireya decides to take pictures
With my phone.
This is now my favorite photo.
She's got a gift.















Mireya waits for her turn to ride
Like a good cowgirl.
She gets lessons from mommy.
Which mostly consist of
Stop and go riding.

Which is most kinds of riding, I guess













Sierra's lesson on Lily goes well
Lily is a bit stiff,
needs turning exercises.
All those years on barrels















Mireya's turn, stopped on the "bridge"

Canyon, a willing lesson horse.

Who would have thought it?










Horse girl.


Look at that smile.













Writing is going well, thanks for the supportive words! My novel is a mystery of sorts. But here's an example of my writing (that's not horse related) that's been published ( in Christian Science Monitor a few years ago)


Embrace the Boredom



It's not enough for it to be an electronic leash, now there are a plethora of "content" you can get on your cell phone. A young man was relating how instead of having to read old magazines in the doctor's office he can now play a game – Tetris, online role playing, whatever. Now, he said, you don't have to get bored.

This is, of course, a huge loss.

When my daughter whined about being bored, I told her it was a wonderful thing. "Just think," I said in a conspiratory whisper, "of all the wonderful things that happen when you're bored..."
"Like what?" she asked, taken aback.

"You'll see.."

I live most of my own life busy. Rushing here, running there. When a chance to be bored comes – a chance to sit in a non-stimulating environment and be with just myself – it starts out very uncomfortable. First I look for something, anything, to read. Labels. Signs. Fine print. But as time stretches out, beyond the available distractions, I sit with myself.

And I learn things.

Small things connect in my mind. Long gone ideas resurface, surprised at the silence, then scurry about in the quiet, leaving idle thoughts in their wake.

Fragments of songs. Ideas for stories. Scents of food for dinner. Visions of solutions where none were a few minutes before.

Boredom is a gift, really. Like a seedling suddenly free of the shadow of an ancient oak, boredom becomes the open sky that lets our inner self stretch and reach beyond our mental shadows. We rarely let ourselves get past the initial anxiety. The anxiety of having nothing to do.

Nothing to do but think.

With a generation growing up with no opportunity to be bored, I realize they are being robbed by distraction. Robbed of the gifts that only arise when you turn that corner of boredom and run into yourself.

All we can wish for, I suppose, is spotty cell coverage.

3 comments:

jacksonsgrrl said...

Excellent pics! Love the one of Mireya with the grin. Priceless. Great article! You are such a gifted writer, i love the wry humor you add at times, it cracks me up. On your crib notes blog, I was reading the googly eye post at work one night and I was literally in tears. I told my son about it and consequently, we have some eyes on a set of our S&P shakers now too. :)
If you COULD come down for a day, we would really make it worth your while! Many amazing places to ride and we have LOTS of variety. It's not that we don't want to come there. We were really planning on coming last time, and then it all caught on fire. Literally. Mainly, Linda's truck has 320,000 miles on it and I pray every time we go up hills some days. We still go places, but if we can have you here..... :)
No worries about a crazy ride, we are safe, sane riders who ride at the levels and abilities of the folks we are with--their horses too...Bring a friend (if you want) and can make it down. You WON'T regret it! We have our pick of AMAZING trails of varying difficulties....
What kind of schedule do you have? We can prob. even do a kiddo oriented ride if you wanted to bring your oldest. Let me know!
--Mindy

Grey Horse Matters said...

Great pictures and your little girl looks so happy on her beautiful horse. The smile is priceless.

I liked very much your article on boredom, it's food for thought.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Way to go Canyon. Who woulda thunk it. He looks rather happy with his Lesson Horse duties. hehe!

Your writing is right on! If we can't be comfortable being alone with ourselves, what does that say about us?
It's true it does take some getting used to, but once it happens it's really sublime.
I thyink one of the reasons kids in school have such a hard time with peer pressure, is they don't know what or how to enjoy being alone...and so they never learn to like themselves because they don't even know who they are....or what they believe in.

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing!

~Lisa